

COMMUNITY CENTER COMMITTEE MINUTES MARCH 5, 2012

Oregon Country Fair Office

Committee Members: Thom, Hilary, Tony, Andy, Charlie, Chewie, Steve, Indigo, Norma, Bear, Anna

Scribe: Hayley Shapiro

Agenda:

1. To pick the top firms for the subcommittee to interview
2. Solidify interview committee
3. Finalize outreach intro letter (can get put off)
4. Work on what we would like our subcommittee to ask the firms
5. Set dates for two meetings in March

Chewie: How many firms did we have on that list?

Tony: Seven, plus some engineering firms...

Thom: Fourteen

Hilary: To address the subcommittee, the draft I sent to you a while ago with a proposed process, at that point I had said Thom and Tony to be the committee, since then, Anna and Indigo have also expressed interest.

Chewie: I am not attached and I don't have a lot of time so I am fine with Ana, Thom, Indigo and Tony

Hilary: That sounds good, in my mind they will do a bit of foot work and then cherry pick to see which firm is really the best for the committee, so we can all make a critical decision once the weeding out has been done

Chewie: On a side note I ran into Chuck Bailey and Kurt Albridge who said they would be willing to do a lot of work on this regardless if their firm gets picked, so I think it would be worth the small group talking with them because they will do work for us.

Steve: Can you review who they are, friends who work on main stage?

Chewie: Yes, and I think they will be a really good tool to use because they are fair family.

Hilary: Ok so we have the subcommittee?

Chewie: Are you ok with that?

Tony: Ok, so me, Indigo, Thom and Anna?

Indigo: Yes, mornings are good for me.

Thom: Yes I am flexible.

Hilary: Are we still all good with firming up the letter so you have something to go in with, ideas of what we are looking at, and having something before making an appointment?

Tony: Will this elicit a proposal or...?

Hilary: No, it's more of an entrée, before hiring, this is more like an orientation to what we are doing, and shows that what we have is a part of a process.

Steve: It's at the conversational stage at this point.

Tony: Yes, and we can set up a meeting with them or their architects and share our process, ideas, organization.

Hilary: So maybe you guys can just work on the questions...

Tony: Yes, I think the committee should work out some specific questions though, the little things, which are important to our process.

Hilary: So maybe people can email potential questions to Tony?

Chewie: What if they came up with questions that they were comfortable with asking, because Anna and Thom have more specific questions that they can work out, it might be better that way then sending in like twenty questions.

Indigo: Okay so the four of us can get together and make a list of four to six questions of what we want to ask?

Tony: How much of this list was drafted with Jacks input?

Hilary: Yes one of these is drafted with his opinions but some of the firms are weird.

Ana enters 5:20

Tony: Yes, those are just like electrical firms.

Chewie: So Anna are you good with being on this committee and getting together to make up questions?

Anna: Yes

Hilary: Ok that takes that off the agenda, I wish John was here because he was very helpful in editing some of these items, and we need to identify if cost or design is an issue.

Tony: I thought that was weird in the letter we were sending out, and if about not having consensus for both phases, I believe that the process will establish the merits of the phased approach, maybe a letter can adhere to the skeptics

Anna: Can we just tell them that we want to have goals for this section, one schematic drawing of the concept, the letter is great but I more or less see this as a bullet point list of objectives

with the overarching goal to get us a community center, I think we are more or less in a design development phase, which tells the firm that this is not about permit set drawings, it's a bit broader.

Thom: Yes that's just right, we are not looking for build plans now, no blueprints.

Steve: Yes, I don't think we need to include the discrepancies within the fair family in the letter, we will just have to address that and engage in it now, there will always be skeptics and opinions, we just need to work on consensus on our part, otherwise there is too much risk.

Chewie: Yes, the skeptics are skeptical and having been on this board for years and the fair also, if we try and please everyone, there is a loud vocal minority, and if we really talked to everyone for consensus that would be silly. I also liked Anna's thoughts we are going from a big scale to a small scale so we need to address that now as we narrow it down, and as we talk to firms perhaps they can give us different plans as we move along the road. Saying that this is a phased development, which is not really how I like to explain it, it is important that we ask them what they think, is it phase? Or what works best? Let them design the phases that they see best, not tell them what the phases will be.

Charlie: First off, waging that PR campaign, I will start drafting a story for the April fair family news, and once I get it going everyone can read it for consensus, but yes we need to do a bit of a sell job, and let everyone know what we are up to, that is an internal need. Second, when it comes to refining the letter, I missed the sense that we don't have a clearly enough defined plan, maybe we need a site plan for the first part, which is the permit process. When we talk about phased construction, we need to envision all of the phases for a site plan so we know what the limits are and what it looks like whether its called phased or not.

Hilary: Yes, I think that we need to be looking for a firm, and go through a process of working with them, then go through our own design process, and share with them Hopefully by the end of this we will have a beautiful drawing, not something that is set, but something for the board to get a better idea and approve. Maybe we are not hiring a firm that will be the final one, but some firm that can help us patiently as we do our thing, and give us needed tools along the way.

Tony: Anyone else? I think the firm Jack pointed out that Pivot architecture is great because they focus on that aspect, design and potentiality.

Hilary: Yes, and I think maybe Rainbow Valley, they have an idea of who we are and will be sensitive to our style, I am fine with the committee working on their own letter or using this as a

start point, I am not even attached to the letter, but we need to go forward together as a committee.

Anna: I think the meetings need to go back to back, the subcommittee will take the letter with the edits forward and work with it and then come back to you guys so we are all aware of what ideas we want to send out to the firm. Okay, so the fourteen firms, scaling that down, or not, depending on what we want I don't care personally, but maybe we should narrow it down to seven, so do we do a first pass tonight?

Tony: Yes, because we have all these firms, and when we talked to Jack it was unclear, so we should get a list and have everyone look at it, the websites are like you get what you get, the ones that are big and highlight a lot of a projects are obviously firms who have done huge projects, with money, to put it all on their website, the littler firms that's where we have to sit down and talk and express our ideas, and see their designs. But I think everyone should take some time to investigate so we can narrow it down.

Hilary: Ok so if we can all look at that list and come up with the top ones with some reasons, then the subcommittee can sort through and have a narrower list

Anna: Has anyone looked at them, can we do that now?

Chewie: I have looked at two and I liked Rainbow Valley, and I am pushing for the Fair Family architects, Kurt Albridge.

Hilary: Yes I talked to Kurt, but he is not licensed in Oregon, and is not planning on getting licensed, he has done a lot of work for path planning, and I asked whether he would be willing to do design charrettes, and I want to propose to the committee if he does that work with the design charrettes we pay him some of the money, maybe 3000 dollars for doing design charrettes?

Thom: But then he cant volunteer if we have paid him

Hilary: Yes, but we wont pay him as an employee, just for the design charrettes, maybe we need to ask the attorneys what will work, but I wanted to see what the committee felt.

Tony: I really liked some of the stuff that Anna sent out, architecture and place making, like a Native American architecture firm.

Anna: Yes, Statsky and Braun, she was a project major for that firm, and went her own way after the longhouse and now works as an independent contractor for this firm here, and wants to be a part of whatever look we have for a design development firm. We can go with what we see, if you have seen the longhouse, it ties in really diverse opinions on a very long time line. Don did a

lot of development with a lot of diverse groups, and did design coordination, which was not easy with so many volunteers and the budget.

Tony: Yes, she has been a project manager with all of these different tribes and really diverse settings; I thought she would be a great person to add to the mix.

Chewie: Right so she will become part of the subcommittee's discussion.

Anna: Yes, so if everyone puts forward names, the more information the better.

Chewie: Yes let me suggest, if anyone knows somebody out of these firms give us more information, add some specifics of what they have done, so we can see their buildings, it's a really good way to evaluate the firms as we go into this. Rainbow Valley has done some and renovated some great buildings in this town.

Anna: Yes, Don's buildings are more cultural centers. Other than that I only thought there was one other firm who does community center type things, but they are in Portland. But yes giving buildings would be a good way to evaluate....

So what else do we want to accomplish today at this committee meeting?

Hilary: I think we are in good shape we narrowed down a subcommittee, and have delegated pretty much everything to them.

Tony: Ok well I have a question about the list, are we going to go through this list and feel like we have the key players, or have we left some firms out, should we talk to Jack again?

Hilary: Well maybe, but his suggestions were big construction firms, and when I did research I really went through and called everyone this is like 80% of what's out there, the medium size players.

Anna: Well yes, but if you want to talk to people who are actually building buildings that would be a different list of people.

Indigo: So in terms of meetings we have another meeting this month, and the subcommittee we should meet before then? And finalize a list of firms and the letter?

Thom: Yes, then are we all going to come back together to talk about the firms?

Hilary: Yes, it's important if we all come together for us all to say who we are rooting for.

Anna: So can everyone email the firms they like?

Tony: Yes, so the list of key points should be refined together as a big committee, what speaks to our organization, what do we need to say about our culture and history, because we want that to be captured in our design.

Hilary: Yes so to the meetings if you take maps and photos it may give a better idea of who we are.

Tony: I was thinking more of what core requirements are we looking for, and what questions can we ask, and details can we go into the meeting with.

Hilary: Ok so like who would be working with us, do you have time constraints..

Tony: Yes, all these things let's compile them so it's not just the subcommittees ideas

Chewie: Anna I think you have skills specific to that, Thom you have land use skills, Tony you understand the unique organization, and Indigo you are a well rounded package, so together you have what you need to come up with that list and those details, we can refine them as a committee as opposed to having a lot of input this way it will be more narrow.

Tony: Ok I just want everyone to have input.

Indigo: Would Tuesday the 13th in the morning work its about in the middle of now and our next meeting?

Thom: That would work

Indigo: 9? 930?

Anna: Where?

Tony: Somewhere in between, with coffee.

Anna: The cafeteria at the community college is easy for me

Indigo: What about hideaway bakery?

Anna: So lunchtime could work well, noon is good? If we are meeting with firms throughout the day then I can make other arrangements for that, also spring break is coming up so I have a couple days off for that. I will be willing to make something work.

Indigo: Noon on Tuesdays does not work for me but, Monday, Wednesday works.

Tony: Nope not Monday the 12th.

Anna: Do we need to calendar now?

Indigo: No but if you take time off we will come to you.

Anna: Ok so then Tuesday I will take time off at 9:15.

Indigo: Ok so we will come to you.

Anna: Great, the health and wellness center is a good place

Hilary: Cool, is that it are we done? The next meeting is the 19th

Group: Yes

End Time: 5:53